Galaxy Nails for Comic Con

Friday, July 19, 2013

Hi, everyone! By the time you read this I will be in geek heaven, aka San Diego Comic Con. I have been going for the past 10 years or so and, even though it's gotten huge and crazy, I still love it. There's so much fun nerdy stuff to do and it's just fun hanging out with people who like to fangirl as much as me. I knew I wanted to do some special nails this year. I haven't really gotten into nail art until just recently (and very simple nail art at that) but I wanted to do something besides just paint my nails. There are tons of great comic book related manis out there but most of them are beyond my skill or patience level at this time. So I decided to go for a galaxy manicure, which I have seen several version of lately. There are lots of tutorials out there for this look but I used this one at Chalkboard Nails for my main inspiration.

galaxy nail art by the painted ninja

These are the colors I used.


I started off with a base coat of Wet N Wild Black Creme for a nice, dark base. I love the opacity of this black but I really hate the long bottle neck and brush. Anyway...

I then took turns sponging on the following colors (in this order):
American Apparel Cotton
OPI What's With The Cattitude
Sinful Colors Daredevil
Color Club Wild At Heart
Wet N Wild Black Creme
Urban Outfitters Silver Holo
NYC Skin Tight Denim

Then I used a toothpick and AA Cotton again to make tiny stars in a random pattern. After that I added China Glaze Fairy Dust just to the black parts of my nails. Topped everything off with Cult Nails Wicked Fast and a galaxy is born!  I really love the way this turned out and I can't stop staring at my nails. :)

galaxy nail art by the painted ninja

galaxy nail art by the painted ninja

galaxy nail art by the painted ninja

What do you guys think? I like it and definitely see myself doing this again with different colors someday. It was super easy to do, too.

I can't believe Comic Con is here already. Wouldn't it be great if people also sold nail polish at Comic Con? Then it would be perfect. Haha. I actually did hear at OCC was putting out a really cool green lip tar that is debuting at Comic Con this weekend. You can read the press release at Temptalia here. It's called Demented Alice and though I am not usually one for super crazy lip colors, I think I may have to get this. I love Alice in Wonderland and OCC. I'll definitely try to get some pics of the booth for you guys.

Hope you're all having an awesome weekend! :)

Post a Comment

I love comments almost as much as I like cookies. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on this blog. I read each and every one of them.